M - I - crooked letter - crooked letter - I - crooked letter - crooked letter - I - humpback - humpback - I.
Who knows what that spells? I used to love hearing Mississippi spelled that way when I was growing up. Anyway, Mississippi's signature sweet is... Mississippi Mud. Some people make it as a pie, but most people make it as a cake.
This uber-rich sweet gets it's name because it resembles the muddy banks of the Mississippi River.
For this southern classic, I used Southern Living's recipe.
for the cake...
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
1 (10.5 ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
for the Chocolate Frosting...
16 ounces (1 box) confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
* mix all ingredients together until smooth
- whisk together melted butter and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl
- stir in flour and chopped pecans
- pour batter into a greased and floured 15 x 10 inch jellyroll pan
- bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean
- remove from oven; top warm cake evenly with marshmallows
- return to oven, and bake 5 minutes
- spread Chocolate Frosting over warm cake, cool completely
Pour yourself a big glass of milk with this one!!!! Yum!