Georgia - Peach Cobbler
Well, I'm a born and raised Georgia Girl, and I'm so excited to talk about what's sweet in my state - Peaches!
Georgia is nicknamed the Peach State and here are a few indications of how important the Peach is to Georgians:
- In the city of Atlanta alone, there are 55 streets with "Peachtree" in the name
- On New Year's Eve, we watch a Giant Peach drop as we count down to the New Year
- The annual Georgia Peach Festival each June takes place in.... yep, Peach County!
Peaches are only in season for 16 weeks starting in mid-May through August. On a recent trip down to Georgia, I took the opportunity to buy some Georgia Peaches and make Georgia's most famous and popular peach dessert - Peach Cobbler!
There are many types of Cobbler but I think the type made by most Georgian's, especially home cooks, is what I describe as "magic crust" cobbler. The ingredients are staples that you always have on hand, and it's so simple to throw this together when you have fresh peaches and want a delicious dessert but don't want to spend all afternoon in the kitchen.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup All Purpose flour
2 cups sugar, divided
1 Tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
4 cups fresh peach slices
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Melt butter in a 13x9 inch baking dish
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
This is the "magic" part - the crust starts on the bottom!
- Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; pour over batter (do not stir).
I knew just what to expect with this recipe - so delicious! The Georgia peaches were just as sweet as ever and it was even sweeter being able to make this cobbler at my parents house in Georgia!