Horse racing & Hot browns
Bluegrass & Bourbon
and Derby Pie - all things Kentucky!
Derby Pie was created in 1950 at the Melrose Inn in Prospect, Kentucky by Walter and Leaudra Kern. It became such a popular pie that the owners of the Melrose Inn trademarked the name in 1969 and the family continues to actively defend and protect the use of the name Derby Pie.
What is this unique Kentucky pie? A chocolate and walnut tart in a pastry shell - yum!
Here's what you need for this simple pie...
1 deep dish 9" pie crust
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips
- Combine sugar, eggs, vanilla and flour. Mix until ingredients are incorporated
- Melt butter and allow it to cool a bit
- Pour butter into mixed ingredients very slowly and mix to combine
- Add walnuts and stir just until incorporated
- Sprinkle chocolate chips into the bottom of the pie crust, then pour filling mixture into the crust
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour
Derby Pie is a bit like a chocolate chip cookie with walnuts morphed into a pie! Great anytime of year - but especially in May when the Kentucky Derby rolls around!