Hawaii - Haupia & Chocolate Haupia Pie



Hawaii - Haupia & Chocolate Haupia Pie 

Of the states that I haven't travelled to yet, I have to say, Hawaii is one of the states I really must visit - and the sooner the better!  

When I go, I can't wait to go to a lu'au and eat traditional Polynesian food - I'm thinking pork, pineapple and coconut! 


Coconut, "Niu" in Polynesian, was very important to Polynesian settlers in Hawaii.  It provided lumber and roofing, materials to make rope and baskets, and food and drink - so Polynesian explorers planted the trees everywhere they went.  


Haupia (how-PEE-ah) is a lu'au classic and uniquely Hawaiian! Haupia is a coconut milk pudding that is very firm and almost gelatin-like.  It is usually cut into squares and then served.  


Haupia is extremely popular not only at lu'aus, but at potlucks and in restaurants.  At one time, McDonald's even offered a special Haupia Fried Pie at their restaurants in Hawaii! 




Haupia is so popular that its even used as a component of many other cakes and pies - like Chocolate Haupia Pie - which sounded delicious! So, I'm making both!  


First, Haupia...










Ingredients
4 cups coconut milk
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch


Recipe
  • Combine coconut milk and water in saucepan
  • Stir until smooth
  • In small bowl, mix together the sugar and cornstarch
  • Whisk sugar mixture into coconut milk and water
  • Cook over low heat until thickened 
  • Pour and spread into 9x13 glass baking dish 
  • Cool then cut into pieces, garnish with toasted coconut if desired and serve
  • Store in refrigerator





    I liked Haupia on it's own - it has a nice sweet coconut flavor and I liked having the toasted coconut on top to add a little texture.  I can see how this is such a common dessert to make in Hawaii - it doesn't require tons of ingredients, is simple and yummy!  Can't beat that...  well, maybe you can...  


    with Chocolate Haupia Pie!  I was really excited to find this recipe because I adore chocolate with coconut and I love a good icebox pie during the summer!  


















    Ingredients
    9 inch unbaked pie shell
    1 cup milk
    14 ounce can coconut milk
    1 Tbsp coconut extract
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup cornstarch
    7/8 cup dark chocolate 
    sweetened whipped cream
    chocolate shavings


    Recipe

    • Preheat oven to 350
    • Bake crust 15 minutes or until golden brown
    • In saucepan mix milk, coconut milk, coconut extract and 1 cup sugar
    • In another bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 1 cup of water
    • Bring coconut milk mixture to a boil then reduce heat to simmer
    • Slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture and stir over low heat until thickened, about 3 minutes
    • Divide mixture evenly into two bowls
    • In another small bowl, melt chocolate in microwave
    • Mix melted chocolate into one of the bowls of coconut pudding then pour into pie crust.  Spread quickly as the mixture will set fast
    • Pour remaining coconut pudding on top of the chocolate layer and spread being careful not to mix the two layers
    • Refrigerate the pie for at least one hour
    • Before serving, spread whipped cream over top and garnish with chocolate shavings




    I may have made my chocolate layer just a smidge thicker than the coconut layer... regardless, I LOVED this pie!  I used 74% chocolate so it had a nice bitter flavor that paired perfectly with the coconut!  I really couldn't stop talking about this pie and I am thrilled to have a new chocolate pie recipe.  


    I'll be on the look out for Haupia when I go to Hawaii and can't wait to discover other uses for this clever sweet!  


    Enjoy!
    mbf

    2 comments:

    1. So yummy! I could eat Haupia all day and it really is so elegant when you present it in little triangles with toated coconut shavings on top.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I made the Chocolate Haupia pie for dinner guests. What a success! All of us loved its decadent yumminess...so much so that I am making it again for some weekend visitors. Thanks for introducing me to this awesome dessert.

      ReplyDelete