Colorado - Peaches 'n Cream Pie


I skipped Colorado this spring when I discovered that Colorado also has a fondness for the Peach - specifically Palisade Peaches grown in Palisade, a western slope agricultural town on the Colorado River.  


One popular dessert is the Colorado Peaches 'n Cream pie.  I am certainly familiar with Peach Pie, but I'd never heard of a Peach Cream Pie so I thought it would be a great dessert to feature for Colorado.  


I wasn't able to procure any Palisade Peaches, but I did buy local and found these Garden State Peaches from Fralinger Farms. 




The recipe I chose comes from the Colorado Cache Cookbook courtesy of the Junior League of Denver.  


Ingredients 









3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 peeled and sliced peaches 
dash of salt
squeeze of lemon juice
9 inch unbaked pie shell
2 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


The Recipe 


  • In bowl, mix sugar, flour, cream and salt.
  • Slice the peaches and sprinkle with salt and lemon juice
  • Place peaches in unbaked pie shell 
  • Pour cream mixture over peaches and dot with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon
  • Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then lower oven to 300 degrees and bake additional 40 - 45 minutes.  

After the given amount of time in the recipe, my pie was still very loose and not at all set.  I baked mine an additional 20 minutes until the filling was bubbly and golden on top.  


The recipe didn't specify whether to serve this pie warm or cold, but to me, peaches 'n cream should be cold.  I let the pie cool and then placed it in the fridge before giving it a taste.  




I really enjoyed the flavor of the pie, but even after baking it for a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes, the center of my crust seemed under-baked and the filling wasn't as set as I thought it would be.  


My next go round with Peaches 'n Cream Pie, I'm going to blind bake the crust first to make sure it gets cooked all the way through and can stand up to all of the liquid from the peaches and of course, the cream!  




Well, thank you Colorado for giving this Georgia girl a new Peach recipe!  


Enjoy,
mbf




No comments:

Post a Comment